For over 25 years, Tim has assisted clients with patent preparation and prosecution, due diligence, and portfolio management.
He has handled contested matters before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, including post-grant proceedings such as inter partes reviews (IPRs) before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) and trademark oppositions before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB).
Tim has drafted and prosecuted patent applications in diverse technical fields, including:
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, cum laude, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- M.S. in Operations Research, Stanford University
- J.D., cum laude, Suffolk University Law School
- Design Patents
- IP Litigation
- Open Source Software Counseling
- Post-Grant Proceedings
- Trade Secrets
- Trademark Opposition & Cancellation Proceedings
- Artificial Intelligence
- Autonomous Vehicles
- Biotechnology & Life Sciences
- Business Methods
- Clean Technology
- Computer Hardware
- Computer Software
- Electrical Engineering
- Internet of Things
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Devices
- Medical Imaging
- Network Infrastructure
- Optics & Photonics
- Developed and expanded a major portfolio of patent applications for a fabless semiconductor company.
- Prosecuted a large portfolio of patent applications for a major European telecommunications company.
- Prosecuted a significant portfolio of patent applications for a peer-to-peer networking company.
- Oversaw due diligence of a patent portfolio for an acquisition by a major multinational electronics company.
- Successfully represented a large computer software company in resolving several domain name disputes.
- Successfully represented a startup company in a trademark cancellation proceeding.
- "Podcast Recording: Startup Story: SweatWorks," MIT Enterprise Forum of Cambridge Podcast, March 5, 2021
- “Post-Grant Review - An Increasingly Important Tool for Challenging Competitors’ Patents,” Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, November 9, 2016
- “Strategies for Maximizing Value of Intellectual Property,” Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana-Iztapalapa - Centro Nacional de Investigación en Imagenología e Instrumentación Médica, Iztapalapa, Mexico, September 1, 2015
- Boston Intellectual Property Law Association (BIPLA)
- Licensing Executives Society
- International Trademark Association
- The New England Section of Optica
- Black Duck Certified Open Source Legal Professional