For over 25 years, Darrell has devoted his practice to patent preparation and prosecution, design patents, patent-related opinions, counseling and licensing agreements.
His patent practice is focused on assisting clients in a variety of mechanical fields including machinery, medical devices, electro-mechanical devices, robotic devices, alternative energy power generation, energy conservation, water handling technologies, optical systems, construction products, packaging, composite materials, exercise/physical rehabilitation devices, sporting goods and consumer products.
Darrell works with clients who are start-ups, universities and large corporations. His patent work in the machinery field includes manufacturing machinery, as well as equipment in the polymer extrusion field. Patent work in the electro-mechanical field includes electron beam devices, automotive electrical connectors, clamping and spacing devices for electrical power lines, semiconductor and MEMS devices, and manufacturing processes. Patent work in water handling technologies includes water testing, water distillation, storm water/septic storage and leaching chambers, products for hot water heating systems and ground source heat exchange systems. Patent work in construction products includes tools, safety equipment, metal roofing and skylights, and precast concrete panels or members for concrete buildings.
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- J.D., University of New Hampshire Franklin Pierce School of Law
- Design Patents
- Trade Secrets
- Clean Technology
- Materials Science
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Devices
- Optics & Photonics
- Black Duck Certified Open Source Legal Professional
- "Patenting Strategies for Entrepreneurs," UMass Lowell Innovation Hub, October 4, 2022
- "Sports Rehabilitation – Game Changing Innovations," MIT Enterprise Forum, Cambridge Innovation Center, Cambridge, MA, December 10, 2019
- "The Revival of the Design Patent - A Look at Design Patents and the Implications of Apple v. Samsung," Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Lecture, Waltham, MA, April 24, 2013
- Boston Patent Law Association
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Asian American Lawyers Association of Massachusetts