For over 35 years, John has practiced primarily in the areas of intellectual property litigation and trademark prosecution.
Since joining the firm in 1986, he has been involved in patent litigation, patent interferences, International Trade Commission proceedings, trademark and trade dress litigation, trademark oppositions and cancellation proceedings, and copyright litigation. He also has experience in licensing matters and IP counseling.
In addition, John’s legal expertise also includes IP portfolio strategy and counseling, due diligence studies and opinions, audits, trade secret advice, alternative dispute resolution, nondisclosure agreements, technology transfer, consulting, employment, and community interest agreements.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Supreme Court
- New Hampshire
- New York
- B.A. in Mathematics, cum laude, Williams College
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law
- IP Litigation
- Trade Secrets
- Trademark Opposition & Cancellation Proceedings
- "Protecting Brands for Virtual Currencies," Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, June 21, 2018
- "Protecting Your Brewery’s Brands with Trademarks," Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, April 27, 2018
- Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Forum, Boston Bar Association, March 28, 2018
- “Using Coexistence Agreements to Secure and Confirm Trademark Rights,” Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, September 14, 2016
- "Think Your Company’s Trademark Will Be Difficult to Protect?" Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, June 24, 2014
- "Patent Damages, the New Economic Realism and Early Case Assessments," Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Lecture, Boston, MA, January 29, 2014
- "Trademark Basics - How to Select Good Trademarks and Effectively Protect Them," Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, June 19, 2013
- Best Lawyers in America® 2022 - Trademark Law
- World Trademark Review 1000 2021 Recognizes John in Gold and Silver Categories
- Recognized as a Global Leader by World Trademark Review for 2020
- Best Lawyers in America® 2021 - Trademark Law
- For the third consecutive year, John DuPré has been selected by World Trademark Review in the Gold category for trademark prosecution and strategy
- Best Lawyers in America® 2020 - Trademark Law
- Recognized by World Trademark Review 1000 2019 in the gold category for trademark prosecution and strategy
- Best Lawyers in America® 2019 -Trademark Law
- John DuPré is Recognized by World Trademark Review 1000 at the Gold Level for 2018 for trademark prosecution and strategy
- Best Lawyers in America® 2018 - Trademark Law
- World Trademark Review 1000 2017 Individually Honors John DuPré in Silver Category for Enforcement, Litigation, and Prosecution and Strategy Matters
- Best Lawyers in America® 2017 - Trademark Law
- World Trademark Review 1000 2016 Brands John DuPré as "Invaluable Counsel," Noting Skills in Enforcement and Litigation, as well as Prosecution and Strategy
- World Trademark Review 1000 2015 Hails John DuPré as "Exceptional"
- World Trademark Review 1000 2013 Calls John DuPré a "Key Figure"
- World Trademark Review 1000 2012 Recognizes John DuPré as a "Seasoned Trademark Practitioner"
- American Bar Association
- Boston Patent Law Association, Past-President; Past Board of Governors
- International Trademark Association
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- The New England Center for Children, Inc., Member Board of Advisors