The field of chemical engineering overlaps many disciplines.
Utilizing knowledge from chemistry, physics, biology, mathematics, and economics. Chemical engineering examines ways to create, alter, transport, and consume chemicals, materials, and energy.
Our firm’s experience with chemical engineering includes these areas:
- Biology-based fields, such as biotechnology, biochemistry, bioinformatics, as well as biochemical and biomechanical engineering
- Chemistry-based fields, such as chemical process modeling, molecular engineering and chemical information
- Clean energy or “green” technologies, such as photovoltaics, fuel cells, batteries, biofuels process formulation and modeling, and production of wind, hydropower, and biomass power
- Communications and electrical engineering fields, such as ceramics semiconductor device design and fabrication
- Process systems engineering
- Systems for drug production (industrial-scale bioreactors and sampling systems)
As the frontiers of chemical engineering continue to advance, members of our legal staff keep pace with client objectives by understanding their technology and by aggressively protecting the full scope of each client’s technical achievements.
At Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds, our legal experts have both undergraduate and advanced degrees in chemical engineering, chemistry, biological and computational chemistry, and biochemistry. Our attorneys also have industry experience as research scientists and chemists.
We have advised clients on matters related to chemical engineering that include very-low-temperature refrigeration systems, soil-bioremediation processes, gas-separation technologies, and fuel cell membranes.
Our litigation experience includes:
- Defended a patent infringement action involving oil refinery technology in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas. After summary judgment of patent invalidity was affirmed on appeal, the patent owner paid our client a high six-figure amount toward its litigation defense costs. We also identified insurance policies which led to our client’s receiving a further mid-six figure amount toward its litigation defense costs.