Alice concentrates her practice in patent law, licensing, and due diligence matters.
For more than 30 years, clients have turned to Alice for U.S. and foreign patent preparation and prosecution, drafting and negotiating of license agreements, infringement and freedom to operate opinions, research support agreements, and confidentiality agreements. She also provides diligence assessments for clients seeking public and private financing, as well as for mergers and acquisitions.
Alice’s clients benefit from an in-depth understanding of their technology and business goals and a continuity resulting from a long-standing relationship of representation.
Alice assists clients in the biotechnology, chemical, and environmental sciences fields, as well as those in the food technology and various engineering fields.
Scientific & Technical Background
Alice assists universities and corporate clients with complex biotechnology advancements in the areas of molecular cellular, cell and developmental biology, genetics, genomics, epidemiology and biostatistics, pharmaceuticals, proteomics, immunology, and related nanotechnologies.
Alice’s practice offers equal expertise in the chemical arts. She assists clients with intellectual property issues as they relate to the areas of analytical chemistry, organic chemistry, physical organic chemistry, synthetic organic biochemistry, biological chemistry, computational chemistry, ceramics, polymer chemistry, nutraceuticals, waste remediation, structural composite materials, and related nanotechnologies.
Alice’s background also spans physics, physiology, biophysics, medical technology, and multiple fields of engineering, including biomedical, chemical and mechanical engineering.
While attending law school, Alice served as an editor for Idea, The Journal of Law and Technology. Before joining the firm, she was employed in biological and food science research for Cornell University at the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station, Food Science Department, in Geneva, New York. She has co-authored a number of scientific articles. Alice serves on the firm’s Practice and Procedures Committee and has served on the Firm's Management Committee.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- B.S. in Chemistry and Medical Technology, State University of New York at Fredonia
- J.D., University of New Hampshire, Franklin Pierce School of Law
- Distinction in The Best Lawyers in America® 2024 for Boston Patent Law
- Distinction in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for Boston Patent Law
- Distinction in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for Boston Patent Law
- Distinction in The Best Lawyers in America® 2021 for Boston Patent Law
- Distinction in The Best Lawyers® in America 2020 for Boston Patent Law
- Distinction in The Best Lawyers® in America 2019 for Boston Patent Law
- Distinction in The Best Lawyers® in America 2018 for Boston Patent Law
- Honored by Best Lawyers® "Women in Law" 2017 Spring Edition
- IAM Patent 1000 Calls Alice Carroll a "Licensing and Due Diligence Queen"
- Distinction in The Best Lawyers® in America 2016 for Boston Patent Law
- Boston Intellectual Property Law Association (BIPLA)