Chris is an intellectual property litigator, prosecutor, and counselor with experience in a diverse array of technologies and industries.
As an IP litigator, Chris represents clients in patent, trademark, and trade secret disputes and provides practical, pragmatic legal advice in complex matters. His experience includes patent infringement actions in several federal district courts, including Hatch-Waxman ANDA disputes, trade secret disputes in state court, and contested patent and trademark proceedings in the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Chris advises clients on a range of technologies within several domains of chemistry, biotechnology, and materials sciences and across a range of industries, including life sciences and high technology manufacturing. He provides strategic management of complex patent portfolios, trusted guidance on patent validity, infringement, and freedom-to-operate, and trademark clearance and management of large trademark portfolios.
Chris was individually honored in the Silver category by World Trademark Review 1000 in 2023 for handling trademark enforcement and litigation matters and for trademark prosecution and strategy.
Representative Litigation Matters:
- Represented patent owner in patent infringement and contract dispute with licensee
- Represented generic pharmaceutical manufacturer in ANDA litigation involving topical corticosteroid
- Represented generic pharmaceutical manufacturer in ANDA litigation pertaining to type II diabetes
- Represented public gene therapy company in trademark infringement dispute
Representative Patent Prosecution and Counseling Matters:
- Prepared and prosecuted patent applications in fields of chemistry and materials sciences, including: membranes and filtration technologies; graphene; nanomaterials for catalysis, filtration, and therapeutics purposes
- Prepared and prosecuted patent applications in fields of biotechnology, including: cell culture; natural products; biosynthetic methods in bacteria and plants; transgenic mammals and plants; vaccines and vaccine production
- Prepared and prosecuted patent applications in mechanical-electrical technologies, including: ion gauges; and dialysis systems
- Prepared invalidity, non-infringement, and freedom-to-operate opinions
- Worldwide patent portfolio prosecution for Fortune 500 companies, venture-backed startups, and major universities,
- Represented major drug company in ex parte reexamination of patent on a blockbuster therapeutic
Representative Trademark Prosecution and Counseling Matters:
- Conduct clearance and manage worldwide prosecution of portfolio of marks for innovative companies in the semiconductor and life sciences industries
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Tufts University
- M.S. in Chemistry, Tufts University
- J.D., magna cum laude, Suffolk University Law School
- “Using Coexistence Agreements to Secure and Confirm Trademark Rights,” Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, September 14, 2016
- “Is Patent Prosecution Worth It?” IP Strategy Innovation Summit, Boston, MA, October 28, 2015
- “Biosimilars Update,” Boston Bar Association Lecture, Boston, MA, May 19, 2015
- Boston Intellectual Property Law Association (BIPLA), Former co-chair of the Chemical Patent Practice Committee