For over 35 years, John has practiced primarily in the areas of intellectual property litigation and trademark prosecution.
Since joining the firm in 1986, he has been involved in patent litigation, patent interferences, International Trade Commission proceedings, trademark and trade dress litigation, trademark oppositions and cancellation proceedings, and copyright litigation. He also has experience in licensing matters and IP counseling.
In addition, John’s legal expertise also includes IP portfolio strategy and counseling, due diligence studies and opinions, audits, trade secret advice, alternative dispute resolution, nondisclosure agreements, technology transfer, consulting, employment, and community interest agreements.
John works with start-up, emerging and small companies as well as mid-sized corporations. He has been involved in contested patent matters in the electronic, chemical, and biotechnology fields involving technologies as diverse as Recombinant Protein A, monoclonal antibodies, components for printed circuit boards, chemical compositions for stripping metals, electronic diamond testers, neural network facial recognition systems, acoustic wave analysis and synthesis systems, filtration systems for semiconductor processing, and athletic footwear.
John's copyright matters have included works of art, computer game software, and architectural plans.
The World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000 - The World's Leading Trademark Professionals has hailed John as exceptional:
"The 'exceptional' John DuPré has a particular affinity with emerging and small to mid-sized entities: 'John gets straight to the nub of the problem and has an astounding breadth of experience helping a range of different clients. He is extremely practical, responsive and deliberate. It also helps that we don’t have to translate what he says for the board.'"
John is also a Martindale-Hubbell featured AV Peer Review rated lawyer. For 14 years, he has been named to Super Lawyers, which is a rating of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Supreme Court
- New Hampshire
- New York
- B.A. in Mathematics, cum laude, Williams College
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law
- "Protecting Brands for Virtual Currencies," Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, June 21, 2018
- "Protecting Your Brewery’s Brands with Trademarks," Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, April 27, 2018
- Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Forum, Boston Bar Association, March 28, 2018
- “Using Coexistence Agreements to Secure and Confirm Trademark Rights,” Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, September 14, 2016
- "Think Your Company’s Trademark Will Be Difficult to Protect?" Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, June 24, 2014
- "Patent Damages, the New Economic Realism and Early Case Assessments," Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Lecture, Boston, MA, January 29, 2014
- "Trademark Basics - How to Select Good Trademarks and Effectively Protect Them," Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, June 19, 2013
- Best Lawyers in America® 2022 - Trademark Law
- World Trademark Review 1000 2021 Recognizes John in Gold and Silver Categories
- Recognized as a Global Leader by World Trademark Review for 2020
- Best Lawyers in America® 2021 - Trademark Law
- For the third consecutive year, John DuPré has been selected by World Trademark Review in the Gold category for trademark prosecution and strategy
- Best Lawyers in America® 2020 - Trademark Law
- Recognized by World Trademark Review 1000 2019 in the gold category for trademark prosecution and strategy
- Best Lawyers in America® 2019 -Trademark Law
- John DuPré is Recognized by World Trademark Review 1000 at the Gold Level for 2018 for trademark prosecution and strategy
- Best Lawyers in America® 2018 - Trademark Law
- World Trademark Review 1000 2017 Individually Honors John DuPré in Silver Category for Enforcement, Litigation, and Prosecution and Strategy Matters
- Best Lawyers in America® 2017 - Trademark Law
- World Trademark Review 1000 2016 Brands John DuPré as "Invaluable Counsel," Noting Skills in Enforcement and Litigation, as well as Prosecution and Strategy
- World Trademark Review 1000 2015 Hails John DuPré as "Exceptional"
- World Trademark Review 1000 2013 Calls John DuPré a "Key Figure"
- World Trademark Review 1000 2012 Recognizes John DuPré as a "Seasoned Trademark Practitioner"
- American Bar Association
- Boston Patent Law Association, Past-President; Past Board of Governors
- International Trademark Association
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- The New England Center for Children, Inc., Member Board of Advisors