For over 40 years, John has practiced primarily in the areas of intellectual property litigation and trademark prosecution.
Since joining the firm in 1986, he has been involved in patent litigation, patent interferences, International Trade Commission proceedings, trademark and trade dress litigation, trademark oppositions and cancellation proceedings, and copyright litigation. He also has experience in licensing matters and IP counseling.
In addition, John’s legal expertise also includes IP portfolio strategy and counseling, due diligence studies and opinions, audits, trade secret advice, alternative dispute resolution, nondisclosure agreements, technology transfer, consulting, employment, and community interest agreements.
John works with start-up, emerging and small companies as well as mid-sized corporations. He has been involved in contested patent matters in the electronic, chemical, and biotechnology fields involving technologies as diverse as Recombinant Protein A, monoclonal antibodies, components for printed circuit boards, chemical compositions for stripping metals, electronic diamond testers, neural network facial recognition systems, acoustic wave analysis and synthesis systems, filtration systems for semiconductor processing, and athletic footwear.
John's copyright matters have included works of art, computer game software, and architectural plans.
The World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000 - The World's Leading Trademark Professionals has hailed John as exceptional:
"The 'exceptional' John DuPré has a particular affinity with emerging and small to mid-sized entities: 'John gets straight to the nub of the problem and has an astounding breadth of experience helping a range of different clients. He is extremely practical, responsive and deliberate. It also helps that we don’t have to translate what he says for the board.'"
John is also a Martindale-Hubbell featured AV Peer Review rated lawyer. For 15 years, he has been named to Super Lawyers, which is a rating of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Supreme Court
- New Hampshire
- New York
- B.A. in Mathematics, cum laude, Williams College
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law
- "Protecting Brands for Virtual Currencies," Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, June 21, 2018
- "Protecting Your Brewery’s Brands with Trademarks," Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, April 27, 2018
- Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Forum, Boston Bar Association, March 28, 2018
- “Using Coexistence Agreements to Secure and Confirm Trademark Rights,” Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, September 14, 2016
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2024 for Trademark Law expertise
- World Trademark Review 2023 ranks John in the Gold category for trademark prosecution and strategy and in the Silver category for handling trademark enforcement and litigation matters.
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for Trademark Law
- For the fifth consecutive year, World Trademark Review ranks John in the Gold category for trademark prosecution and strategy
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for Trademark Law
- World Trademark Review 1000 2021 Recognizes John in Gold and Silver Categories
- Recognized as a Global Leader by World Trademark Review for 2020
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2021 for Trademark Law
- For the third consecutive year, John DuPré has been selected by World Trademark Review in the Gold category for trademark prosecution and strategy
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020 for Trademark Law
- Recognized by World Trademark Review 1000 2019 in the gold category for trademark prosecution and strategy
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019 for Trademark Law
- John DuPré is Recognized by World Trademark Review 1000 at the Gold Level for 2018 for trademark prosecution and strategy
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018for Trademark Law
- World Trademark Review 1000 2017 Individually Honors John DuPré in Silver Category for Enforcement, Litigation, and Prosecution and Strategy Matters
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 for Trademark Law
- World Trademark Review 1000 2016 Brands John DuPré as "Invaluable Counsel," Noting Skills in Enforcement and Litigation, as well as Prosecution and Strategy
- World Trademark Review 1000 2015 Hails John DuPré as "Exceptional"
- American Bar Association
- Boston Patent Law Association, Past-President; Past Board of Governors
- International Trademark Association
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- The New England Center for Children, Inc., Member Board of Advisors