Benjamin’s practice focuses on patent prosecution, reexamination, and litigation.
He assists clients in obtaining patents through initiatives offered by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, including the First-Action Interview Pilot Program and After Final Consideration Pilot. Ben is experienced in trademark prosecution, and has conducted educational seminars patent-eligibility of software inventions, as well as patent reexamination in both ex parte and inter partes review.
Ben’s technological background spans the areas of electronics, telecommunications, robotics, mechanical arts, software, optics, and computer technologies. He has particular experience in network infrastructure, notably in the areas of wireless communications, delivery and management of network traffic, network security, and optical networking. Ben also prosecutes patent applications in cryogenics, memory circuitry, database architecture, integrated circuit design, smartphone and tablet apps, transceiver hardware for mobile phones, battery systems for electric vehicles, software for delivering cloud-based services, digital image processing, medical devices, 3D printers, and autonomous and ambulating robotics. In addition, he has obtained patents for a range of simulation and modeling software, including computer-aided design software for mechanical design, as well as software to model and optimize large-scale dynamic systems.
Prior to his legal career, Ben was employed with Axcelis Technologies where he contributed to system design for the High-Energy Ion Implanter product line.
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Trinity College
- J.D., Suffolk University Law School
- Boston Intellectual Property Law Association (BIPLA)
- "Is Your Software Patent Eligible," Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, June 8, 2017
- "An Affordable and Critical Patent Strategy for Start-Ups" MIT Enterprise Forum, Cambridge Innovation Center, May 17, 2017
- Black Duck Certified Open Source Legal Professional