Patrick is experienced in all areas of intellectual property law with an emphasis on patent and trademark prosecution and litigation.
His patent work involves areas such as:
- Computer technologies - image processing and modeling, networking protocols, data structures and processing, security and encryption, machine learning, fault tolerance, and computer-aided design (CAD) systems
- Medical technologies - patient monitoring systems, implant devices, and biopsy equipment
- Mechanical technologies - electric motors for automobiles, industrial heaters, and aerospace and aviation equipment
Patrick has performed IP due diligence for numerous business transactions, and has counseled clients in their development of new products in view of competitor IP portfolios.
He also works to enforce and defend his client’s patent rights through litigation and post-grant proceedings, such as patent reexamination, and is well-versed in the negotiation of settlement agreements and the preparation of non-infringement opinions. Additionally, Patrick has experience with the International Design System under the Hague Agreement.
Patrick’s trademark work involves federal and state trademark applications, clearance opinions, opposition and cancellation proceedings, domain name disputes, and enforcement or defense of trademark rights through litigation. He also has extensive experience with the policing of trademark rights, service of demand letters, and negotiation of trademark co-existence agreements. As an extension to his work on behalf of our other clients, Patrick is active in the western New York area supporting clients and expanding our presence in that region.
Before practicing law, Patrick was a software engineer for the Northrop Grumman Corporation. He was responsible for designing custom software applications that were used by the U.S. Department of Defense and NATO allies.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
B.S. in Computer Science, cum laude, State University of New York at Buffalo
concentration in Software Engineering
M.S. in Computer Science and Engineering, State University of New York at Buffalo
concentration in Artificial Intelligence
- J.D., State University of New York at Buffalo
- “Protecting Your Brewery’s Brands with Trademarks,” New York State Brewers Association 4th Annual New York Craft Brewers Festival, Utica, NY, June 9, 2018
- "Protecting Your Brewery’s Brands with Trademarks," Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, April 27, 2018
- Bar Association of Erie County