Deirdre has 25 years of experience in strategic biotechnology and life sciences patent prosecution counseling.
She is dedicated to guiding clients through the identification, protection, and management of intellectual property (IP) rights to achieve their business goals.
Deirdre prepares and prosecutes U.S. and foreign patent applications for her clients, and works to maximize her clients’ patent scope and duration, throughout the U.S., Europe, and Asia. Deirdre also drafts legal opinions regarding infringement, validity, and freedom-to-operate and conducts IP due diligence studies and audits.
Deirdre’s patent practice is focused in the field of biotechnology with an emphasis in the areas of biologics, including antibody-based therapeutics, biomarkers, pharmaceuticals, gene editing, medical devices, drug discovery/development, precision medicine, immuno-oncology, immunotherapy, bioinformatics, assays and protein-based sensors.
Her practice includes experience in the following areas:
- Immunology and antibody technologies,
- RNA (including siRNA, antisense, and microRNA)
- Vaccine development and optimization
- Gene therapy, gene editing (including CRISPR) and gene activation
- Chimeric antigen receptor technology, including CAR-T and CAR-NK cell therapies
- Genetic diagnostics
- Pharmaceuticals and drug development (drug discovery and delivery)
- Proteins and peptide therapeutics
- Pluripotent stem cell isolation and differentiation
- Nanotechnology, including nanoparticles and nanoparticle delivery
- Therapeutics and diagnostics for cancer, neurodegenerative and metabolic disorders
- Nucleic acid sequencing and detection/labeling technologies, including immunofluorescence
- COVID-19 and related technologies
Patent prosecution is in Deirdre’s blood. In fact, her great grandfather, Graham Cravens, is the inventor of multiple patents, including a patent for “Apparatus for raising superstructures and ballasting railway road-beds.” She is committed to growing her international practice, has traveled to China multiple times, and has spoken before the Chinese Patent Office, as well as to members of the Chinese life sciences industry and legal community. Deirdre also has a strong history of serving the needs of universities and innovation centers nationwide and globally.
The success of Deirdre’s practice is fueled by the balance of her strategic biotechnology patent prosecution counseling and her general intellectual property litigation and enforcement experience. Clients benefit from Deirdre’s experience with intellectual property contested matters, including patent oppositions, arbitration proceedings, litigation relating to infringement and validity, and license agreements.
Deirdre has received distinction in The Best Lawyers® in America since 2016 for Boston Patent Law. Deirdre was also individually recognized in 2022 by IAM Patent 1000 for her patent prosecution expertise. In 2021, she was ranked by Super Lawyers®, a rating of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. Deirdre is a Past President of the Boston Patent Law Association (BPLA) and is Founder and Co-Chair of the BPLA Legislative Committee. She is Past Chair for the Venture Forum and was a Board member of SBANE. She was the keynote speaker at "WIPR Influential Women in IP,” and has recently spoken at AUTM and MassBio regional events.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- B.A. in Biology and Anthropology, magna cum laude, State University of New York at Albany
- M.A. in Anthropology, State University of New York at Albany
- J.D., Boston College Law School
- "Intellectual Property Strategies for Entrepreneurs," Northeastern University CRI, October 12, 2022
- Served as a Judge for the 11th Annual Patent Law Moot Court Competition (invited by Dennis Crouch, Law Professor at the University of Missouri School of Law and editor of the patent law weblog Patently-O) Moot Court Competition, November 16, 2021
- "TLO Toolbox: Hammer Out Successful License Agreements and Avoid Terminal Disclaimer Problems," AUTM Webinar, July 30, 2020
- "Intellectual Property Strategies for Entrepreneurs,” Northeastern University CRI InnoEd Webinar, June 23, 2020
- "Pitfalls of U.S. Patent Filings and Litigation," June 28, 2019
- Boston Patent Law Association Annual Judges Dinner in Honor of the Federal Judiciary, Master of Ceremony, Boston, MA, June 5, 2019
- "WIPR Influential Women in IP," Keynote Speaker at WIPR Launch Party, Boston, MA, April 24, 2019
- "Navigate Your Way to a Successful Commercialization of your Invention," MassBio, Cambridge, MA, September 27, 2018
- "Successful Commercialization of your Innovation," UCONN Technology Incubation Program, Farmington, CT, August 8, 2018
- "World IP Day Boston – Powering Change: Women in Innovation and Creativity," BPLA event at Boston College Law School, April 26, 2018
- "Strategies for Patenting Antibodies in Light of the Current Legal Climate," BIT's 10th International Congress of Antibodies, Miami, FL, March 26, 2018
- Six presentations given during a week in the Guangdong District of China in November 2017, including presenting at a "Summit Forum for Patent Practice in China, EU & US," where U.S. presentations included "Strategic Use of U.S. Patent System Flexibility for Quality Patents" and "Strategic Practices for U.S. Patent Litigation"
- "Gaining A Competitive Advantage Through Patents and Trademarks: Growing IP Assets from Your Existing Business Activities" Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Lecture, Devens, MA, September 14, 2017
- "An Affordable and Critical Patent Strategy for Start-Ups" MIT Enterprise Forum, Cambridge Innovation Center, May 17, 2017
- “Presentation to China State Intellectual Property Office on Topics of U.S. Patent Law," State Intellectual Property Office of the People’s Republic of China, October 10, 2016
- “Leveraging Patent Audits for Strategic Negotiations,” Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, July 13, 2016
- “Strategies for Protecting Your Company through Patents and Trademarks,” Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Lecture, Waltham, MA, September 29, 2015
- "Strategies for Maximizing Value of Intellectual Property," Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Lecture, Lexington, MA, June 9, 2015
- "Getting Your First Investment," The Venture Forum, Worcester, MA, June 10, 2014
- "Chinese Patent Law and Practice," Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, May 22, 2014
- "Monoclonal Antibodies: Successful and Practical Strategies for Developing and Commercializing Antibody Therapies," BIT 6th Annual International Congress of Antibodies 2014, Dalian, China, April 26, 2014
- U.S. Patent Law and Practice and the America Invents Act, State Intellectual Property Office of the People’s Republic of China, April 22, 2014
- "Monoclonal Antibodies: Successful and Practical Strategies for Developing and Commercializing Antibody Therapies," American Conference Institute's 4th Advanced Forum on Biosimilars, New York, NY, June 5, 2013
- "Diagnostic Inventions - What is patentable after Prometheus?" Massachusetts Association of Technology Transfer Offices Seminar, Cambridge, MA, April 17, 2013
- "The Master Class on Successful and Practical Strategies for Patenting Antibody-Related Inventions," American Conference Institute's 14th Advanced Forum on Biotech Patents, Boston, MA, November 30, 2012
- "Monetizing Your Business Assets Through Patents, Trademarks and Copyrights," Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, November 15, 2012
- Boston Patent Law Association (BPLA)
- Past President
- Chair of the Legislative Committee
- Advisory Board, Northeastern University Chapter of National Academy of Inventors
- The Venture Forum, Past Chair